12/18/14

JOHN HUSTON: MASTER OF THE NON-ANECDOTE



Stephen Sondheim rates Noel Coward as his first choice for "Master Of Blather".  I nominate John Huston for an award similar in spirit but opposite in execution. For while Coward was expert at prattling wittily on while oftentimes not saying anything particularly witty, Huston had the anti-gift of saying very little indeed and making it all sound quite profound. The above posted two minute clip of Huston talking about Marilyn Monroe (he directed her at the beginning of her career in "Asphalt Jungle"--which was not her first film as Huston thinks it was--and in her last, 1960s "The Misfits") is remarkable for how little Huston manages to say and how long, drawn-out and pensively, thoughtfully delivered his non-information is. You stare at him, fascinated by his charisma, his voice, his cigar, the barking hounds off-camera (he was probably squeezing this interview in between foxhunts), not realizing until it's over that he took almost two minutes to explain a non-event that could have been delivered in 20 seconds.

But I'll always love Huston for so many things...one of which was ordering me my first ever cocktail (a Vodka Tonic) aboard the Queen Mary in 1981. I know that sounds like a load of crap. But I'll tell you about it someday when I have more time...

 Subscribe in a reader

1 comment:

  1. We have so many little stories being in this business,
    Sometimes I feel like I myself am lying.

    ReplyDelete