4/12/14

ROB THE MOB MEETS EUSTICE TILLEY?

The wonderful New Yorker Magazine journalist Jane Kramer has written a wonderful New Yorker magazine piece about "Rob The Mob". It posted today in the on-line edition (which apparently outstrips the print edition by double the amount of readers--which doesn't bode well I'm afraid for the good old print edition) and I'm delighted to post it here.

I'm especially pleased by this exposure because The New Yorker has been an important part of my life since I was a kid, but for mysterious reasons they've paid little or no attention to my films, barely reviewing them (except for a negative David Denby review of "City Island"--which didn't unduly depress me since Denby is almost always one-hundred percent wrong on every movie he reviews). But I've collected old New Yorkers for many years, going back as far as late 1920s editions, which are of particular interest to me. Just reading the nightclub and theater listings of the period (to say nothing of studying the advertisements) are akin to entering a time machine and journeying into a past that is considerably more enticing than our present...(if you eliminate the depression-era economy, the racism and the much-shorter lifespan). Below I've posted a full episode of "The Twentieth Century", a 1961 documentary series narrated by Walter Cronkite. This twenty-six minute episode is devoted to New York in the 20s, a world that I find endlessly fascinating for a variety of reasons, the most important being the fact that when the market collapsed at the end of the decade, virtually every stylistic element of the 20s--from hats to vaudeville acts--seemed to disappear overnight. It was as if the era needed to erase itself entirely. I've always found any relic of the era--like old New Yorkers--a window onto a dead civilization.



 Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment