8/27/10

CITY ISLAND DVD RELEASE ROCKS ON...



Behold a welter of publicity for the "CIty Island" DVD. But first behold my newest and absolutely last Salon column about the movie. It truly is a wrap up...and if you read this blog semi-faithfully you may recognize the contents of it.

Now: dig Fandango's "DVD OF THE WEEK".

And don't forget the caption contest from Screen Junkies which awards a three month subscription to Netflix. I have a feeling the boat has already sailed on the contest, but waddahell?

Here's an incredibly stupid mention from something called NBC Chicago Blog which manages to praise the film while getting virtually everything else wrong. "It had trouble finding an audience"? Is that why we were open 24 weeks? "No big name star"...Ladies and Gentleman, may I introduce Mr. Lifetime Achievements Up the Yin-Yang Internationally Celebrated star of thirty plus movies, the iconic Andy "Chopped Liver" Garcia! Oy vey. Chicago, huh?

And the grand state of Oklahoma gets into the act with this quite positive notice.

And now I'll close for the moment. But first, it is with bemused pride that I hereby include a review from today (Friday's)
New York Post by Lou Lumenick of Rob Reiner's new film "Flipped". Mr. Lumenick wonders how this material would have
faired in another director's hands. And who do you suppose that director is?

Oh! And happy birthday to my favorite sax player and simply one of the greatest jazz musicians of the 20th century, Lester Young.



 Subscribe in a reader

4 comments:

  1. Translating the Chicago blog:

    "Had trouble finding an audience": I didn't see this when it was in theatres, just now watched it on DVD.

    "No big name stars": Andy Garcia, he's old, right? Like, I've never seen him on "Jersey Shore" or "Gossip Girl" or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reviewing !! It is the lovely drama film. I have seen it on big screen and this can be one of the reason that I liked this film so much.

    City Island Photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to exonerate Chicago a little bit, I live in Chicago and absolutely loved the movie. As for not finding an "audience" I went to tell my friends about the movie when it was in theaters and discovered they had already watched it. NBC are idiots :)

    My friends and I just rented the DVD and all re-watched the movie. Was still hilarious and heartwarming the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! They already have a dvd copy? ohhh... I love that movie and I don't have it yet..! I look for that. Thanks for sharing this post. :)

    ReplyDelete