9/29/08

CITY ISLAND: TAKE A WALK WITH ANDY GARCIA



Here's a take of a perfectly nice scene of Andy Garcia walking down the main drag of City Island, talking on his cell phone and then entering the famed City Island Diner. It appears unlikely to make it into the final version of the film so I decided to let it live on this blog for as long as this blog lives. (What about that? Will the blogosphere ever self-erase? I have no intention of closing this blog, but what do we know about the shelf life of blogs?)

One of the forever fascinating and frustrating things about filmmaking is that, no matter how much you cut the script before shooting--no matter how certain you are that you're only shooting what's absolutely necessary--you still wind up dropping large chunks of material once the picture is assembled. What makes this doubly frustrating for me is the time I've lost on these unnecessary scenes is especially precious when working on a tight schedule as we were (the whole film was shot in 28 days). Nonetheless, its "part of the process" and one that can only be avoided, I imagine, once you've made a good twenty or so movies and have a feel for what ultimately won't be needed. All told, the deleted scenes thus far from the movie add up to about two days work--two days that could have been spent on other, more important things. On the other hand, the editing process is made even more fun by the surprise of finding what stays and what goes. The film has a way of talking back to you at this stage, and making its desires known...



 Subscribe in a reader

4 comments:

  1. That was a really cute clip. Sounds like he’s skipping work using the tried and true “I’m sick. Don’t call me” method! I’m interested to know what he paused for. Looks like he was checking something out. Also, looks like he was checking “someone” out…too funny!

    I'm glad you don't intend to "erase" your blog. If you ever decided to, let us know so I can save entries please!

    These "deleted" scenes...I hope you keep sharing them with us on your blog so we can enjoy them or they make it on to the DVD. I hate to think I've missed even a minute.

    Btw, you mentioned earlier that Julianna and Steven have scenes together. I know we’ve seen them in the car slating themselves (which sounds a little dirty) :). Anything else you can show or share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lucky Ray but well deserved you
    get to see all of the Daile's now
    that's a true treat plus I know that
    they are like having a pot of gold
    Its a very exciting time for all
    involved.As they say there is no
    business like show business, sounds
    Corny but it.s true ciao
    (somehow I have to get this clip
    to play)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this video clip with us. I also don't want to miss
    a minute of these clips. I enjoy the movie as well as all those behing-the-scenes and deleted materials. Please put them all in the DVD if you can. Looks like this clip of Andy pretending to be sick is not a "Stand Alone" scene. Is it necessary to delete some more clips related to this? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty funny--I spent many a drunken evening in the Drop Anchor Inn on City Island back in the '80s, followed by many a hungover breakfast in the City Island Diner, before it was redone to look the way it does in this clip....

    ReplyDelete