4/23/14

THREE YEARS IN THE MAKING, SIX WEEKS IN THE THEATERS...

As the inescapable fact becomes clear that "Rob The Mob" is fading from theatrical view and moving into its next cable/DVD/online phase, I hearby publish the last of the interviews I did promoting the film,  a rather garrulous but occasionally interesting talk about the reasons for making the movie. I'm delighted we got a theatrical release in today's incredibly difficult theatrical market and am greatly pleased with the reviews and attention we got. I'd be lying if I said I was entirely pleased with the distribution companies efforts to promote the film, which were undernourished to say the least. We had an audience movie--which we knew from testing it with real-people audiences--and they ultimately released it as an 'art film' (which means spending 'art film' money on ads--for which read as little as possible). I'm pretty sure that with a little more swagger and confidence and a lot more showmanship they'd have made some real money on the theatrical. But these days "business models" prevail, not showmanship. David O. Selznick would have been disgusted. But then again, I suppose David O. Russell would have as well. He needn't worry--he has Weinstein. We had...well, look them up. Nonetheless, "Rob The Mob" is out there for however long 'forever' is and that, in itself, is a major win in the daily battle of independent filmmaking. Now let's have a drink...


 Subscribe in a reader

2 comments:

  1. Just getting a film made is quit an accomplishment
    More to it than folks realize. From the donuts to
    the distribution. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    After seeing this movie i really get a enthu it plays as a one of my best movies amung all others

    online fabric store

    ReplyDelete