1/30/13

JERRY LEWIS: THE THINK PINK PARTY AND ITS AFTERMATH


The below is one of the saddest stories I've ever run across in the annals of show-biz. Actually it's pretty fucking sad even without the show-biz angle.

First, behold the below video, a wonderful 1963 "Hollywood Backstage" newsreel that covers a party thrown by Jerry Lewis and his then-wife Patti. The theme, "Think Pink", was chosen because Mrs. Lewis was pregnant. Having previously birthed four boys (the Lewis' also adopted a fifth), Jerry was determined to have a little girl. A man who clearly sets out to get what he wants, he designed a splashy Hollywood party that would collectively, I suppose, drum up enough karma to insure that what was inside Patti Lewis's tummy was, indeed, of the feminine persuasion. Or so I suppose the thought process went. Not too much pressure for the wife, right? Jerry even served pink cake and ice cream--topped with caricatures of Jerry, natch. Present at this very groovy event are Steve Allen, Jimmy Durante, Rory Calhoun, Bob Cummings, Marilyn Maxwell, Harry Guardino and a lot of other names which, when dropped, resounded with a thud...at least back in the so-called day. Keep reading after watching the video.



But Jerry's sixth child was a boy. He was named Joseph. And I imagine he got the impression along the way that he was something of an "error". Or so this article--his obituary from 2010--implies.

I'm sorry to have gotten this hung up on Jerry and his Mr. Hyde side. I'm not so sure it's a side. It may be the whole package. After reading the below, I must say that whatever gallows-like humor I've found in Jerry dark side over the years is fast disappearing.
Son of Jerry Lewis Dies From Drug Overdose

 Subscribe in a reader

3 comments:

  1. I never liked Jerry Lewis,and when I read the following, I didn't even feel bad about not liking him: "A woman doing comedy doesn't offend me but sets me back a bit. I, as a viewer, have trouble with it. I think of her as a producing machine that brings babies in the world." That last remark all but brought an end to the discussion, reports the Associated Press. Lewis lost his audience, which got up and left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for writing such an interesting article on this topic. This has really made me think and I hope to read more.
    letmewatchthismoviedownloads.com/

    ReplyDelete