11/6/09

CITY ISLAND:TWENTY WEEKS OUT PT.4

phyllisdiller

Thanks to all for the many comments and for the enthusiastic initial response to the blogathonging. The daily entries, though shorter then my previous verbose digressions, will continue apace. Although I'm tempted to take the weekend off. How much blather can one person truly be expected to produce?

Perhaps some of you may recall me mentioning over this past year that I've been shooting footage for a documentary about the history of cabaret. My partner in this venture, James Gavin, wrote a terrific book on the subject called "Intimate Nights" and we are, in essence, making a filmed record of his book. Thus far we've had amazing luck in getting some remarkable people to sit down and be interviewed--among them Lily Tomlin, Orson Bean, Dick Cavett, Dixie Carter, Joan Rivers, Shelley Berman, Kaye Ballard. Well, just a week ago we had the honor of meeting and interviewing the woman who truly started it all for female comics, the great Phyllis Diller. Ms. Diller is ninety-two years old and still has the same delivery, the same sense of humor and...that same trademark laugh!

If you're like me, you grew up seeing Madam Diller on Bob Hope shows, in movies, on Laugh In, in commercials etc. Later I heard records of her stand up club act (which is what we were interviewing her about) and was amazed at the pace of her humor, the relentless joke upon joke upon joke engine that she commanded. But there were a few things that I didnt know about her. Such as:

1) She had five children and was a housewife/mother in Alameda California before she even attempted a career in comedy--she was well into her thirties when she got her start in the nightclubs.
2) She's a wonderful painter--her pictures sell for quite a bit of moolah and many adorn the walls of her lovely old mansion in Brentwood.
3) Get this: she's a concert pianist! Trained. The whole shmeer! Who knew?
4) Her living room has a portrait of Bob Hope on an easel.

Here I am with Madam. Click to enlarge, if you dare:



Below I've posted a couple of Phyllis clips. The first is one of her classic stand-up routines--about her "bird legs" (interestingly she didn't recall this particular routine when I mentioned it to her). The second is a real curio--an appearence on TV where she plays piano with an obviously drunk Liberace. Enjoy. And before heading off into the weekend, remember that mantra:

"City Island" is your movie. Help us get the word out. Forward this blog to your friends and enemies alike. Comment on our Facebook page (I'll check in on that every day as well).


And don't forget the ever-delightful, still confounding Twitter stream.



Take it, Madam...





 Subscribe in a reader

20 comments:

  1. THANK YOU FOR THIS

    SHE IS FABULOUS....AND THE TWO OF YOU !!!! BRILLANT..
    WAHT A GREAT EXCITING PROJECT..
    F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your very helpful reviews. I have enjoyed it recently. I really enjoyed City Island full time. Thanks for the part 4.
    Have a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Diller is ninety-two years old and still has the same delivery, the same sense of humor and...that same trademark laugh!If you're like me, you grew up seeing Madam Diller on Bob Hope shows.
    Timeshare Resales

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sitting here sipping a Jack Daniel's and just enjoying your
    Phyllis Diller treat. did not know
    about the art work must check it
    out....ciao just checked it out.
    Beauty is in the eye of the
    beholder.She has that Van Gogh
    thing going never really liked his work much.But for some reason I seem to like all art maybe its the
    lines & colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, What a goodu movie this is! I like the "city island " movie.
    I am a big fan of Ms. Diller.
    She is awesome even her 92.
    Thanks for your nice blog job.
    Most probably I will enjoy it again.
    have a nice time
    bye
    Dog Life Jackets

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the best posts that I’ve ever seen; you may include some more ideas in the same theme.
    Seattle Wedding Photographer

    ReplyDelete
  7. visit this site to get the latest information about city island...
    Seattle Wedding Photographer

    ReplyDelete
  8. lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need, thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.
    las vegas dui lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw no real reason to say anything or make a fuss. And then we got out of the van and were greeted by the guy who runs the joint.
    Mission Hills Real Estate

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard records of her stand up club act (which is what we were interviewing her about) and was amazed at the pace of her humor, the relentless joke upon joke upon joke engine that she commanded. But there were a few things that I didnt know about her.
    Leucadia Real Estate

    ReplyDelete
  11. SHE IS FABULOUS....AND THE TWO OF YOU !!!! BRILLANT..
    Lakeside Home Search

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it is the famous article in all. Every person please visit this site and read this article. It will be provide lot of helpful and interesting things for us.
    Carlsbad Bankruptcy Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it is the famous article in all. Every person please visit this site and read this article. It will be provide lot of helpful and interesting things for us.
    San Diego Podiatrist

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need, thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.
    Abilene Roofing Companies

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a big fan and I've just found this blog - great, write more please!

    dog life jackets

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah its great to see this list which will come to help to many people. I am bookmarking this page and will blog about it too.
    Sarongs

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up.
    _______________________________
    coursework help | GCSE Coursework Help | Science Coursework Help | Research Paper Writing | Essay Writing Services | Essay Writing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice! I am quite interest in your domain. If I set up one website using this domain, I can earn 100-200 USD daily. Your domain is really good. If you don't want to sell this domain, I can cooperate with you on the condition that you share 50% revenue with me. ;-) Emf Detector


    ReplyDelete
  19. It’s so wonderful.I’m so glad you started blogging and that I can call you my friend.Thank you.
    Polo tshirts

    ReplyDelete