10/25/09

PUSAN GOES BRONX? CITY ISLAND HITS KOREATOWN? MOVIES TIL DAWN GOES TWEET-HAPPY?

koreagirl

Forget the fact that none of us were invited to Korea for the 14th Annual Pusan International Film Festival for what I assume must be the Korean Premiere of "City Island"; I didn't even know there was such a festival. I won't kick and scream as I did about Rio because frankly I don't think I could have handled traveling to South Korea. Still, had I known a bit more about the lovely participants at the festival (above)...scratch that. I'm a married man. Here's an awfully nice blog review of "City island" by somebody named McGarmot who saw it at the Pusan festival.Big time thanks for the nice words. Give me a call sometime if you need a reference.



And here's more about the Pusan International film festival then you ever need to know. Turns out they were the first film festival ever to exist in Korea--and that they only began in 1996. I wonder why it took so long for them to catch on to what the rest of the worlds chamber of commerces had already figured out: film festivals are bigtime civic events and super crowd pleasers. If I were ever elected Mayor of a city that didn't have one, my first order of business would be to get the local film festival underway. Anway, glad they're there in Pusan and that they showed our movie.



Item: Deauville already seems like a year ago. And yet just recently the following bit of video surrounding our movie and Andy's honorary evening turned up on youtube. Quite interesting:



And now for Ghent, which already seems like six months ago (I think we were there last week?) The following is a very nice
combination tribute to Andy and interview with his fab daughter Dominik, who as fatithful readers of this blog probably know, plays his daughter in the movie. In the opening of this piece, you'll see Andy arriving at our Ghent premiere and you'll occasionally glimpse a fast-aging man with salt and pepper hair and pompous-looking eyeglasses behind him. That would be me. I'm so glad I didn't become an actor. I can't bear the sight of me on screen. By the way, there are quite a few extended clips from the movie within here, enough to satisfy any of you who continue to wonder when they'll get to see the movie...and if, in fact, it actually truly exists outside of my fevered imagination.



Moving on to Twitter. I've become quite convinced that one of the heavy promotional tools for our movie--indeed, one of the heavy tools of our lives as we know it--is Twitter. This is strange since the whole idea of Twitter seemed inane to me only a couple of months ago (even though I quickly signed up for an account--more a spasm of early onset middle-age fear of seeming out of it then anything else). But I've been reading up on it and following my tweets and lets face it--sharing small bits of instant information is addictive, easy, and quite revelatory. For instance I follow Ted Hope--well known indie film producer (and by the way my first ever boss--he was the Key Production Assistant on the first movie I ever had a job on the name of which I've forgotten that was shot in New York City in the dismal summer of 1985...oh well, lets skip that part of our history since we've all presumably moved on to better things...) Anyway, Ted is a visionary about the future of cinema, communication and the way in which real time web stuff is going to impact us all. And though he's been blogging for awhile, it's his tweets that I'm finding most heroically useful. Lots of info, thoughts and ruminations on the ride we're all taking and where we might wind up. Click here to follow him.



So what I'm thinking is: this blog, of course, will continue apace. Better than that, actually, since once I finish my new script I'll start blogging more regularly. But I'll be tweeting every day--almost always with a link to something that I think will be of interest. Click here to follow me on Twitter. If you like what I'm saying/showing you, and if you want to help promote the release of "City Island", re-tweet me to your friends. And send the link to others so that my measely (but much appreciated) nineteen followers grows a bit over the next couple of months. I'm forced to repeat Conan O'Brien's joke about the combined time wasting website that utilizes youtube, twitter and facebook called: "YouTwitFace". Funny though it was a few months ago, time has rendered the joke obsolete; we appear to be on a viral path of no return in which we find ourselves, others and our mutual interests in constant communication, clicking and linking and friending and tweeting ourselves into a mad future that can only be comprehended whilst engaged in a Manhattan Up (Makers Mark preferably)...and while watching a nice old clip such as the following on the ubiquitous youtube. Jeepers Creepers! Take it Satch...





 Subscribe in a reader

18 comments:

  1. I am one of your 19 faithful followers on Twitter and on here as well. Love hearing about the movie and look forward to more frequent updates. Counting down the days until I can finally see the movie for myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Melissa!

    Thank you for being what I now intend to call: "The Original 19". Lets become a thousand by the end of the year, shall we? Glad you reached out and I promise more (and better) updates, feeds, still photos etc. as we gear up to release date (3/19/10).
    again--thanks for being there...
    RDEF

    ReplyDelete
  3. pompousfilmmakercollectiveOctober 26, 2009 at 6:00 AM

    "Ted is a visionary about the future of cinema"--uh, really, Ray? Visionary? eesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. A Ted Hope smackdown at this early hour? I
    wonder who this could be?

    ("I wonder if you wonder..." Stanwyck to MacMurray, via Wilder and Chandler, 1944)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raymond, I saw on the West End Films website that City Island will be released in US theaters on March 19th of 2010. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are better off staying here
    with the American Dollar the way it is....My Son is a sound man
    and said that 4 of them had a Pizza
    out of the country and the bill
    was two hundred dollars.....
    Yahoooooooo thats alot of sound.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ray,question what is the purpose of going to
    festivals once someone has a
    Distributor. I do know that allot of
    films keep going to alto of festivals but I always thought it was to get a Distributor Plus who is doing the submissions to all these remote festivals thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we will be released in theaters in the use on 3/19/10. Believe I've shared this news before but perhaps it's a while back. Apropos of the release, we will be blogathoning, tweeting up a storm and doing all the stuff that is now vitally necessary to drum up interest in an independent film. I hope you'll all keep reading (or follow my twitter feed) and share the site/links etc. with friends so we can spread awareness.

    Anon 3--The festivals are a good way to spread word of mouth about the movie. Big studio movies typically have a "screening program"--they show the movie a lot to audiences in different cities before its release to drum up interest and awareness. This is expensive, though, and for indies the festival circuit provides continued exposure without incurring big costs. Also, the fests themselves are covered in various publications (and a lot on the web) which adds to the general effectivness in getting the word out about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This clip is fantastic it just proves that you don't have to understand one word someone is saying to enjoy the footage
    and being a father myself that
    tit-tie scene is very very funny
    and true to life ciao or ourvwaaaaa
    I know that's not spelled correct

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow the movie is going to release 2010. I hope that i will enjoy the movie on the day of release. I have heard about the move recently details. This will be an excellent movie.
    Thanks for your very helpful reviews.
    Bye

    ReplyDelete
  11. The festivals are a good way to spread word of mouth about the movie.This is expensive, though, and for indies the festival circuit provides continued exposure without incurring big costs.
    Timeshare Resales

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw on the West End Films website that City Island will be released in US theaters on March 19th of 2010.Actully it is true.

    San Diego MLS

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw on the West End Films website that City Island will be released in US theaters on March 19th of 2010.
    Dog Life Jackets

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh well, lets skip that part of our history since we've all presumably moved on to better things...) Anyway, Ted is a visionary about the future of cinema.
    Simi Valley Real Estate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the plug! And thanks as always for this ever-compelling 'tale of two cities': City Island, the movie, and the city of industry that a film creates for itself.
    San Diego Real Estate

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love hearing about the movie and look forward to more frequent updates. Thanks for post
    gr

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love hearing about the movie and look forward to more frequent updates. Thanks for post
    Dog Life Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is expensive, though, and for indies the festival circuit provides continued exposure without incurring big costs. Also, the fests themselves are covered in various publications
    free web hosting

    ReplyDelete