9/5/09

PARIS (STOCK FOOTAGE) JOURNAL PT.1

Paris1919

A full day in Paris and tonight, after a lustrous (luscious? lushy?) dinner, I come home to my hotel room and start searching YT for the Paris stock footage. There is so much that I'll just throw up a sampler every day or so as a tribute to the city that is quickly becoming my second favorite (NYC first, natch).

Now dig this: though labeled "Paris in the 20's", I think this footage is more like at the dawn of the twenties--even, say the late teens. A few repeat watchings of it reveal soldiers still in uniform (which makes it like 1918 or shortly thereafter), horses and carriages in abundance on the streets and men wearing...are you ready? BOATERS. Yes, back when straw hats weren't period costume gear, people actually wore them to look hip and up to date. And here those people are, long dead, lives and trials and tribulations all flushed away by the toilet of time...and yet, thanks to the miracle of film (largely, like aviation, a French invention that the French somehow didn't get the full credit for) preserved here for us.

After just a day and half here I'm amazed: like New York, nothing really looks different when you check out the old movie footage--except the lousy clothing we wear now and the stupid cars that have replaced the lovely old ones. And as always with old stock footage, two-thirds of the fun is the ghostly nature of the captured events, sans sound, sans "meaningful" context...which only makes it more profound and meaningful of course Enjoy...



 Subscribe in a reader

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to Paris Raymond! I have been to Paris several times and I was there in June this year too. Paris is one of my best cities in Europe. What are you going to do in Paris before going to Deauville?
    Good luck with City Island!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get away from any film or
    computers for a few days close ones
    eyes to that stuff and just take time to eat and chill.....Get tuned up for
    your big day....ciao

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just recently purchased Mt4 Protect and wanted to tell you guys about my experience with it.
    I was worried about all the Metatrader 4 Malware out there at the moment as I heard you can get them from downloading Expert Advisors from the internet.
    While I don't download decompiled forex robots the last thing I want is some hacker getting my account details and draining my forex account as I have built it up into quite a bit of $$$. That's why I purchased MT4 protect so it can stop my pc from getting attacked. I think the price is well worth the protection I will receive
    I purchased a copy at [url=http://www.mt4protect.com/] mt4protect.com [/url] via paypal and my product code was sent to me within 4 hours.
    I installed it and its great It works in the system tray and scans my computer in real time to detect any attacks.
    The EA optimization tool is so great - you can allocate more memory to your MT4 terminal so your trades get executed faster! There are also heaps of registry tweaks and cleanup features that have tuned up my Windows 2000 PC.
    With Trojans and virus attacks hitting Forex traders all the time now I definitely think that MT4 Protect is a worthwhile investment.

    ReplyDelete