Tuesday, May 26, 2009

CITY ISLAND: THE POLISH EXPLOS-ISH



And poof! The whole Poland experience is over. I spent most of yesterday on an interminable (but luxurious) Lufthansia flight back to New York. The screening of "City Island" on Saturday night was an eye-opener. Largely because none of us were sure if the movie's humor would translate to a foreign audience. But it turns that it did--they loved it, laughed, cried and applauded the same as they did in Tribeca. I'm not sure why we were skittish--families are families (i.e., screwed up central organisms that we struggle, in vain, to escape from) all over the world. Might we actually have a movie that transcends cultural barriers?

Also quite wonderful was the concert of Jan Kaczmarek's music on the previous evening. Here are Jan and Grzegorz Hajdarowicz, our Executive Producer (as well as being our marvelous host in Poland) looking rather pleased with themselves before the screening...



And here Zachary Matz, my producing partner, and I are apparently in the act of watching our own movie, filled with admiration and self-regard. Viz:



Lastly--and perhaps leastly--the aftermath: the film got a standing ovation and, for reasons that only a therapist could explain, I fled the theater instead of taking a bow. See for yourself...(I'm in the lower right hand portion of the picture, the only unsmiling, unapplauding person in view...)



Here's a little more of Marvelous Max Raabe, my Kracow "discovery"...



 Subscribe in a reader

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

More people who have seen City Island who are not me. I weep! :)

But it sounds like things went well...good to know the movie crossing those boundary lines and connects with everyone.

Anonymous said...

Great News!! Now if only it would be released in the US so I can see it :-((((

Marianna said...

In my comments I sometimes say how I envy people in the US for getting the chance to watch this movie...scratch that! I envy Polish people, too lol !!

Seriously now, that is wonderful, I'm sure that these moments you all experience right now, will be with you forever! Congratulations!

Take care
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Poland looks like it is very clean
on the streets.....Ray was it
subtitled or in English I am
curious.....Glad your back in the USA.

Raymond De Felitta said...

News on the US release will, I believe, be coming up soon. Meanwhile, what a strange trip this film is taking--Poland! A wonderful and unusual place to show (at an early stage) what I thought was a quintessentially American film that wouldn't necessarily appeal to European (not to mention Eastern European) audiences.

Yes, we had the film subtitled in Polish for the occasion. Some interesting things I leanred: the Polish word for "yes" is "Tak".

When Joyce jokingly refers to Vince as "The Great Communicator" the translation simplifies this to: "Dikatator!"

When a character says "Shit", the Polish translation is "Cholera". Hmm...

Kristina said...

Aww, you ran out?!

:)

Anonymous said...

City Island subtitled in Poland in
Polish becomes a Polish American
family living in the USA kind of
cool.I would have to recast the faces though.More and more a TV
sit com for the future but now as
a distributed movie.Would have
looked wild in the French language
I think.All of this had to be
going through your mind on the flight over. Lucky Guy.fun fun fun

Jan McLaughlin said...

Yowsah...one step at a time toward world domination of "City Island".

Greg looks very dapper in his hat. Is that Z. with a beard? Fetching :)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I hope you came back & took your bow when you were a little less overwhelmed by adulation.

di said...

Glad to hear that the people of Poland enjoyed the film What about the people of Australia! I know we will enjoy it as well.
I read that City Island is showing at a film forum in Lake Placid next month. Is this like a film festival or something different?