Thursday, April 30, 2009

SCREEN DAILY RAVES 4 CITY ISLAND

qbridge

Click here to read Jan Stuart's fine review of "City Island" in Screen Daily. In it he refers to my 2000 Sundance Audience Award winner "Two Family House", likening the tone and subject matter (the lives of the bridge and tunnel crowd) to "City Island". This is the sort of thing that dissertations are someday written about. I never thought of myself as the Proust of the Outer-Boroughs but maybe I should think again; perhaps next time I need to shoot something in Queens. And I haven't done Brooklyn yet for that matter. But that's so Spike Lee/James Gray/Noah Baumbach-ish. I'll let them keep it.


Our Brookfield Group panel on Monday evening went very well. Andy Garcia and Julianna Margulies joined me and we were interviewed by James Saunders, author of an excellent book called "The Celluloid Skyline", which belongs on the shelf of anyone who loves either New York, movies, New York in the movies or all of the above. James has a superb website which gives you more than a taste of what his book is like. You can click here to check it out.


The panel itself was focused on New York as a place to film in as well as a place to film. Here's a good write-up which captures the essence of what was discussed. It also discusses the after-party in which I played a piano duet with Andy Garcia. Apparently the response was a favorable one...



Yesterday's Four PM screening was another sell out, after which I did a q&a. Lots of good questions and one curious one: a young man asked me if I had ever made any other films. Twenty years of incessant toil in show-biz and this is what I get? Without wanting to seem touchy or rude I said: "the answer to that question is: go to imdb.com and look me up."

Oddly there's an Awards ceremony tonight. I say oddly because it still feels to me like the festival just began--but apparently it's all but over! On Saturday night, Heineken throws a party at which the Audience Award is announced. I have no real desire to be judged by ones peers so I'll skip tonight. But the Audience vote is a truly important one and--whatever the result--I'll be there to hear it.

As a good deal of the activities at TFF seem to center around Union Square (the area of Manhattan just north of 14th Street), I thought I'd post this look at the neighborhood, a mere 105 years ago. This is a piece of film shot in 1903 showing Broadway at Union Square. You will see two horse-drawn streetcars, one coming and one going, each letting off and taking on more passengers. It isn't exactly action-packed (and it only runs 25 seconds) but to me this little glimpse into the early last century --and of a neighborhood that I've been spending a good deal of time in--is mesmerizing. Enjoy...



 Subscribe in a reader

8 comments:

Daniel said...

The link to the review is not connecting properly. It can be gotten to, just requires some navigating.

Just to let you know.

SLB said...

Here's the link that worked for me:

http://www.screendaily.com/city-island/5000591.article

:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for all the information. I am going to check all those links. I just found a video interview of you guys at the premiere here:
http://www.ny1.com:80/content/ny1_living/98273/-city-island--shows-off-new-york-s-own-fishing-village/Default.aspx

JC

di said...

Hi Raymond,
Don't know if you have seen it but I have just read a great review in Variety.The reviewer talks about Andy's virtuoso performance and calls Andy's audition scene a comic mini-masterpiece. What do you think of that?

Anonymous said...

Oh Can you link us to the Variety Review please?

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Oh Found the Link to Variety! WOW this is fantastic! I love what they say about Julianna M. too.

I really want to see this movie!!

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117940165.html?categoryid=31&cs=1&query=City+Island

Adam Brightman said...

So, let me get this straight, are you saying you HAVE made any other films? What folly, youth!

Anonymous said...

indian lesbian pictures lacy duvalle lesbian scenes lesbian chic hot college lesbian girl webcams ebony pussy lesbian dildo 10 minute clips of lesbian scenes lesbian children stories