4/22/09

CITY ISLAND COUNTDOWN: TFF-5!



Item: See above for Cindy Adams modest but still important mention of our film in her New York Post column today.Click to enlarge and go to the far right column for the mention.

Item: an interview I did for WNBC in New York will air sometime between 5AM and 7AM tomorrow (Thursday) morning. I can't believe anyone will bother to wait around for it, but if for some reason you do tell me how it turned out. I'll be asleep.

Item: the filmmaker party was quite nice. I even ran into a couple of people I went to college with--TWENTY YEARS AGO. Mark Street, a filmmaker with a short in the festival, and Jim Brown, a programmer. Amazing how the circle closes on its own...

Item: Watch for Lou Lumenick's interview with me in tomorrow's New York Post. Of course I'll post it...

So there I am, sitting across from Julianna Margulies at DeMarchlier on 86th and Madison. We're less than two weeks away from principle photography and as soon as I sit across from this foxy, magnetic and totally down-to-earth woman I suddenly realized: everything truly does happen for a reason. She was exactly the combination of elements that I wanted for Joyce Rizzo. Attractive, open, funny, unafraid.

We talked around the subject for a bit. How happy she was living in New York again, how much I like it as well etc. etc. Then we got into the script and I found she had a lot of insight into the role. She also really liked Andy--we talked about their previous work together. All the while I'm thinking: this is who always belonged in the movie...why did it take such a stressful and circuitous route to find her?

And then I started thinking: when is the other shoe going to drop? When is she going to tell me what she doesn't like about it?
But that didn't happen. Instead, after quite a bit of conversation she said: "So when are you guys looking to try to make this movie?"

Pause. Try to make this movie? As if it were a faraway prospect, still unfinanced and unready to roll. Apparently nobody had informed her of the emergent nature of the situation. There was the other shoe! She had no idea we were days away from going...and no doubt she had other plans for the summer that was already upon us.

As calmly as possible I replied: "A week from next Thursday."

Now the pause belonged to Julianna. She took this in. Looked away for a moment. Then she said: "Oh. I get it. You're in trouble."

Yes, I replied. I'm in trouble.

Now we understood each other. Another long pause as she no doubt contemplated her still open options. Then she nodded and said: "Well...a lot of the time it's much more fun for me to just jump into somethng without overthinking it too much. There's one thing that I really would need from you."

At this point I'm thinking: ANYTHING! Even script changes...

"What's that?"

"I have this great custom-made wig that would be perfect for Joyce. It'll also save you guys lots of time because my hair is a big deal to deal with every morning. If I can use the wig, I'll do the movie."

Done.



 Subscribe in a reader

4 comments:

  1. lol...it was just a wig request? Well that seems fair :) And it kind of answers one question I've had after viewing the clips since I have curly hair which was how did they get her hair to look so straight?!

    Can't believe after following this blog that the premiere is just around the corner..and I saw that all the showings were sold out, even the new one.

    One question...is the Sunday premiere going to have an actual "red carpet" type feel to it (actors and crew, etc.) or is it just the first day it'll be shown at the festival?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are such awesome stories connected with this movie!

    I found this little review on the movie:

    http://www.ny1.com/content/ny1_living/97806/ny1-movie-review---city-island-/Default.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that Organic Chilean apples are $1.49 cents a lb. not bad.
    Must run and get myself a few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must be quite a wig! I'd never had guessed it was one, till I saw it written here!

    Well I will always remember City Island as the movie that became my chance to send Julianna a letter.

    I am a fun and (accidentaly) found city island's movie set addy in a forum so I go "OK the worst that can happen is...nothing really".

    So I send her a handwritten letter and a month later...her response came to my doorstep. Sweet and down to earth and humble were her words to me. I 'read' a great person between these lines and I believe she is!

    Take care Raymond and thank you for sharing with us!
    Peace and love
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete