12/29/08

TIS AUTUMN MEETS...BUGS BUNNY?

bugsopera

Click here to read the first of two marvelously insightful reviews from the U.K of my documentary "Tis Autumn: The Search For Jackie Paris". And click here to read the second.The DVD street date for the movie is March 2009 but just the other day I received an advance order from my producer, David Zellerford. Ironically, this completely independently made (read: no outside financiers) documentary has resulted in the best produced DVD of any of my movies, Lion's Gate having botched the "Two Family House" DVD with an extra-cheapo, no-frills edition and New Line having tossed "The Thing About My Folks" out as casually as fish three days old. (I would have said "three day old fish" but then I wouldn't have been quoting...can anyone name the movie the above line comes from and the author of that line? If so, I'll send you a free DVD...)


I see from Dan's comment that he, like myself, received his opera education at the hands of the good people at Looney Tunes--and so I've posted the sublime "What's Opera Doc?" below. For those of you who've never seen it, you will have the great treat of a first viewing of all the Wagner-esque music you truly need to know (and with the best singers for it--Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny). For those of you who know the film, a repeated viewing will never disappoint. This cartoon seems to be the Citizen Kane of its medium--the one ever-lasting, always voted-for, "best of the best" that everyone can agree upon--though, truth be told neither CK nor WOD are my first choices to watch at any given time, perhaps because of their correct, accepted status. In any event, according to this Wikipedia article, "What's Opera Doc" was rated by a panel of over 1000 animators in Jerry Bec's 1994 book "The 50 Greatest Cartoons..." as the number one greatest cartoon of all time. (Hm. What could that panel have been like? Did they all meet together in a big room, these thousand or so animators, and engage in heated cartoon debate over a take-out deli lunch? What do you suppose a thousand animators in a room SMELLS like? Somehow it's an afternoon I'm both curious about and glad to have missed). Furthermore, the cartoon was "inducted"--what a pompous word-- by the Library of Congress for the National Film Registry, which preserves the 500 most important films of all time. Two weird things about this: it's the only Bugs Bunny on the list. Wouldn't you have thought that, of five hundred movies, Bugs would be represented by at least ten percent--a mere five movies? And why only five-hundred movies? Do they have to keep knocking movies off as they add them? Imagine making this list and then getting cut...





 Subscribe in a reader

3 comments:

  1. aloha Raymond!

    Hope you had a great holiday time...even if you were working the second day of Christmas:-)

    First of all thank you for the clip! Once again I find education in your blog!! Every time I have to re-read every post (like a study:-) but in the end I am getting there!

    I will play along with your question even though I haven't got a clue and you'll end up laughing at me!!

    What is...benjamin franklin "fish, and guests, stink after three days".

    It is what of course...google revealed to me. No idea about the movie ("big fish" maybe?) and I am sure that it has nothing to do with what you mention in your post, but hey...for the play's shake!

    Glad to hear about the DVD release! Anxious to own it :-)

    Take care
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four stars very nice to see glad for you.Shame that Jack wont get to see
    the finished film.....I do feel that
    he had fun making it with you...
    I didn't see it yet Ray but I give it
    ten stars sight unseen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic reviews! Glad to hear that it's getting such a good response. Hopefully when you eventually talk about the DVD release of City Island (after a theater release of course) you can say positive things about its "extras" and the way it is treated.

    ReplyDelete