7/31/08

CITY ISLAND: 8MM HOME MOVIES



I have been on a mission for archival footage and home videos of City Island for the past couple of days. The search is starting to reveal some treasures, like this beautiful antique box from Tex, a lovely lady two doors from our set house, who persuaded her niece to rummage through the basement for all these reels of 8mm home movies from the late 50's. This is a dream, my holy grail.
What I have learned about City Island is this: if you ask, people will most likely help. They still have the time and the trust to spare. Who today could believe that someone would lend their memories to an utter stranger? Not I, but I have been proven wrong. Yes, I accept my quest, and I shall guard these faded images fiercely.

Now I just need to get my hands on a projector...



We are attempting an outreach to the people of City Island, to accumulate footage for the opening sequence of the film. Keep it local.

"The Keeper of the Keys", Cecelia Bee.

6 comments:

  1. Baw ah, kasagad sa imo maghimo blog. Nalingaw gd ko basa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To bad there not 16 I have a beautiful 16mm
    sound projector bell & howell
    2585 for sale but I would have let
    you use it enjoy your movie blogs.
    I'm hooked like the fish on
    "City Island"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have a projector for you in my fathers basement if you need and I'll ask my friends who live there if they have any footage from their boat.And yes, I did take my laptop on vacation so I could get my daily fix of your blogs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you looking for just film, or would you like photos too? My grandparents left a lot of photos in out attic when they moved out, maybe you might want some?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so excellent in so many ways.

    Bravo, clsfinest, for digging about in the attic to help Raymond execute his vision of "City Island".

    Film making is a collaboration. Like architecture, it is also public art.

    That you found this dimension of making the film and were able to respond and contribute is a function of the Interwebs and digital arts. This kind of conversation vastly important.

    See: Social Objects.

    http://fauxpress.blogspot.com/2008/07/social-objects-101.html

    Will you enjoy walking with the excellent people Raymond's gathered together and really being part of the process? I should think so.

    And the generosity of maria bilardi with her projector.

    This is very exciting stuff.

    Grassroots film making.

    I'm proud to play a small part in the making of "City Island", and delighted to be able to express my pride in such a supportive atmosphere.

    P.S. If you haven't heard De Felitta play piano, you haven't lived. I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the above comments including the one at the top in a language that I do not comprehend. Maria--you're one of us! You'll have to come by set if you're in the area. Cisfinest: thanks for the offer. Stills are welcome--anything City Island that shows it in the past is what I'm looking for. Keep reading and we'll keep shooting.

    ReplyDelete